Perspective

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Most of the time we perceive/categorize things to be a certain way due to experiences or repeatedly seeing it that way, but  there are times when you are pleasantly surprised and swear to hold no judgements again.

This past weekend, my sponsor invited me to a Latin themed party in Nuremberg. At first, I was excited because of all of the history that Nuremberg holds. Most people don't know it is the second largest city in Bavaria after Munich, but know it is the city where the Nazi Party held their conventions. Adolf Hitler held most of the rallies in Nuremberg and after all of the chaos that went on during that time, trials were held there to bring Nazi war criminals to justice. So after knowing bits of history like this, I was excited to see this town. However, I was a bit unsure about the latin party. Even though I am Puerto Rican and do enjoy dancing to some latin music, I am not much of a fan. I decided to go anyways because I wanted to explore Germany and its culture.

After taking a quick train ride and walking 15 minutes, we arrived to the docked boat hosting the party. As we walked in along with two other girls from the dental clinic, I was shocked to see so many people, especially germans dancing to salsa, merengue, bachata, reggaeton . They all looked like professional salsa dancers and obviously had more moves than I did...haha I felt silly for prejudging what it would be like and I ended up really enjoying it. At one point during the party, a Cuban dancer was on the stage and was asking for people to come on stage to dance. I loved the song that was playing so I went and the other girls I was with came on stage too. The guy was instructing a dance routine to those on stage and to the whole audience. It felt like I was at a huge Zumba class. Every person in the room, young or old was following him and the energy was great! I guess this is what they do in Germany. Maybe I now know why my ancestors from Germany settled in Puerto Rico..haha



This morning we drove back from Nuremberg ( didn't get to explore historic sites, but hopefully next weekend) and I checked a potential apartment to live in. It is in a city called Weiden and it is about 15 minutes from my base. It's a beautiful town full of colorful colonial homes, cafes, restaurants, and shops. It reminded me a little of Prague because there was so much to do and there is a town center.
Weiden

Weiden

The apartment is a 2 minute walk to this town center and I could definitely see myself riding a bike or walking around this lively town. I'll keep y'all updated if I do get it. (crosses fingers)

Tomorrow, I begin in-processing on post, which is filling a bunch of paperwork, sitting through lectures and briefs about my transition into the military and Grafenwoehr. I'll be sure to give some updates :)











No comments :

Post a Comment