Regensburg

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Sorry I haven't updated my blog in a bit. There just hasn't been anything really exciting going on to comment on. The end of the week was full of more briefs and orientation and I didn't do much just go to the gym after classes.

 In Germany, the Army gives us one 4 day weekend a month and this weekend happened to be a training holiday. I love that because I will have the opportunity to travel and explore Europe whenever I have time off. So my sponsor and I started the day by going to a Crystal factory. Apparently, this region is famous for making glassware for companies like Tiffany, lennox, Riedel. There was a lot of cheap crystal, but I didn't buy anything since I don't have anywhere to store them. Anyone interested in anything particular please let me know :)














After browsing the warehouse, we decided to go to Regensburg for Burgerfest. It was a 40 minute train ride from Weiden and as soon as we stepped off the train it began to rain. It was 48 degrees, which is definitely not summer weather...haha Luckily, I was wearing a sweater.

We walked around the mall until the rain stopped and later walked into town. As soon as we walked toward the crowd, there was a German band playing "Wagon Wheel." I love that song because it reminds me of home, but especially of Mark since he always played that song to me on his guitar <3. I bought a Wiezen for 3 euros and sat and enjoyed the music. We continued to walk and explore the town.

Regensburg was once a Celtic settlement and a later a campsite of the Roman legions. You could see the outline of the Roman camp  around St. Peter's Cathedral. We were able to see the Steinerne Brucke, which is a 1,000 ft long bridge over the Danube River built in 1135-1145. The view was beautiful.
view of Regensburg from Stinerne Brucke

I bought a nutella and strawberry crepe from a street vendor and went to the famous Wurstkuche (sausage kitchen) for bratwurst. It has occupied this site as early as the 12th century and served as a canteen for the builders of the bridge. For 2,50 euro I had the most delicious bratwurst and sauerkraut sandwich. I could've had like 5 of them.

The town was full of hundreds of locals, live music ranging from folk to rock, freshly brewed cheap beers and food everywhere. It was my first German fest experience and I loved it. I loved seeing huge families of multiple generations enjoying this event together and wished my family and friends could be here to share this with me. But, there are plenty of these around so I hope many of you come and visit :). 

Happy Father's Day to all the amazing fathers out there and Happy Summer Solstice!!






No comments :

Post a Comment