Salzburg

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Salzburg is easily one of my favorite cities in Europe so far. Not only is it the birthplace of Mozart and the set for the movie, "Sound of Music," it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.


It's packed with lots of history and beautiful artwork. Strolling through the streets, I found quaint boutiques and unique restaurants. Salzburg is a must on your travel list.

My weekend there started in Salzburg's old town. Walking by the Pferdeschwemme Fountain (Ancient Horse Bath) really took my breath away. The cliffs in the background made this fountain grandiose and spectacular. It's definitely a great place to witness at night.


We wondered inside Salzburg Cathedral (DOM) and St. Peter's Abbey. The architecture and paintings were so beautiful and the feeling of peace and tranquility that I felt, really made me grateful for having the opportunity to visit this place and Salzburg. We later walked around St. Peter's cemetery and the catacombs and it was really interesting to learn how old it dates back to (1627).


We were so tired from walking so we stopped at a cute restaurant for lunch. I had this awesome chicken with greens and a light tasty dessert.


After lunch, we went to Mozart's house. We knew we had arrived when we saw crowds of tourists taking selfies in front of a yellow house. 

Mozart was born in this house and resided here from 1747 to 1773. He was described as " The miracle which God let be born in Salzburg." At the age of three he was picking out chords on the harpsichord and at four he had learned to play the violin and organ and was playing short pieces, and at five he was composing. At the age of six, he was playing in many public places around Munich and Vienna, and across Europe with his family. Today, Mozart is known as one of the most famous composers of all time. 

I saw Mozart's first violin displayed in the museum and it was so tiny. It reminded me of my first violin at the age of eight. To think that Mozart was playing concertos and composing at such a young age, made me chuckle remembering when I struggled with "Mary had a little lamb." No wonder he was a child prodigy. For some odd reason the museum had a piece of Mozart's hair and other items from his time living in the apartment. It was neat to see all of his notebooks filled with compositions and writings. 

After the museum we set out to hike up to the Festung Hohensalzburg, which is the castle that sits atop a hill overlooking the city. Such great views from above.



Later in the evening we ate at an amazing restaurant and went to sleep after such an exhausting day! 

The next day we did a Sound of Music bike tour around the city. Bike tours are a great way to explore a city very quickly. It also makes me feel like an idiot when I realize I had been walking in circles all day... haha Oh well, I guess you have to get your exercise in somehow. 


These were some of the stops during the tour for any of you Sound of Music fans!

  Hearty lunch before we hit the road with a farewell from modern Mozart! 
Until we meet again, Salzburg!

























No comments :

Post a Comment