Rothenburg

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Waking up to a bright room and blue skies this past Saturday morning, made me abandon my idea of staying home all day. I got dressed and chose a town at the spurt of the moment: Rothenburg.





I've heard that Rothenburg is a small, beautiful medieval town that has one of the best Christmas markets. It's timber framed houses and colorful buildings also makes it one of Germany's most unique towns and was actually an inspiration for Walt Disney's movie, "Pinnocchio." Filming was also done in Rothenburg for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I and II. How cool is that!

I set out on a 2 hr drive and arrived by noon. The sight of pear trees and the historic town wall enclosing  the town made me excited to explore what was behind those walls. Walking through the cobblestone streets, I saw many tourists and the sound of Bach and Vivaldi performed by a string quartet in the town square. They were amazing!

I browsed through the many cute shops selling everything from christmas ornaments to medieval  knight armor suits and swords. I stopped for lunch at a family own restaurant where I had homemade pasta with fresh arugula, tomatoes, and pesto. It was to die for!!

 I also ate this dessert called a snowball, which is a trademark of Rothenburg. It is a shortcrust pastry rolled into balls and decorated with icing and powdered sugar. It was a bit sweet for my liking, but it was still very good. After walking through the nearby castle and rest of the town, I ended the day at a beautiful cafe where I had one of the best cakes I've ever ate. (Elsie, your cakes are #1 though :)).
I was so happy to explore this town on my own and appreciate its beauty.


Next Stop: Traveling to Lake Como this labor day weekend! I'm super excited to finally be able to go to Italy. This is my first solo trip and I will be staying at a hostel. I'm really excited :) Be sure to check out my following post when I return!

Have a safe and wonderful Labor Day Weekend :)


P.S. Hope you guys like the new blog layout! 

No comments :

Post a Comment