Wurzburg

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Sorry I haven't updated the blog in a bit. I've had a busy last couple of days and had no wifi for two of them. My wifi expired for the month and trying to get customer service to assist me was impossible. Germany has terrible customer service. Like Terrible. Oh well, at least I'm moving to my apartment this upcoming weekend. I am so excited! Cannot wait to settle in and make it my haven. Only a couple more days :)



So this past weekend was amazing! I went with two of my colleagues to Wurzburg, Germany. One of my colleagues owns a house there with her husband and ironically enough, their house is Richard Wagner's old house. For many that don't know, Richard Wagner is perhaps one of the most famous composers of all time (1800s) as well as a theatre director. Many of his influences were Beethoven and Mozart. I've played some of his violin pieces and staying at his house was by far one of the coolest things for being such a classical music geek.
                                               

Wurzburg is such a beautiful city and one of my favorites thus far in Germany. I fell in love with the vineyards, picturesque buildings, and bridge (Alte Mainbrucke) overlooking the Main river. The atmosphere was youthful and the food and the famous Franconian wine were splendid. I will take any of you who come visit :) It is interesting to see how this city rose from the ashes after the bombing raid on Wurzburg in March 16, 1945 that lasted about 20 minutes and destroyed 80% of the city.

Friday
After a 2 hr drive from Grafenwoehr, we arrived to Wurzburg and headed out to get dinner since we were starving. We walked around the town square and walked to the bridge overlooking the main river. Since Wurzburg is a college town, there were groups of young people socializing by the river with wine, beer, and snacks. The atmosphere was so chill and reminded me of day drinking in hoboken and NYC. A restaurant on the bridge sold local wine and everyone was holding their glasses as the sun set. We later went to a bar that was once an old mill. The bar is made of all wood and had cute little seating areas. After a couple of drinks, we walked back home and went to sleep preparing ourselves for a big flea market the next morning.

Main River

Saturday
Waking up at 6:30 am was brutal, but was worth it after all the amazing finds I snatched at the flea market. This flea market happens once a year and there were many vendors selling inexpensive things. I bought decorative wine bottles for less than 2 euro, a quality expensive dress for 15 euro, a cute small ladder for decoration, and kitchen stuff for 2 euro. You have to activate your creativity when browsing through things because you can turn anything to shabby chic and avoid spending a lot of  money at stores like pottery barn or crate & barrel. I am excited to decorate my new place with some the pieces I purchased.



After 4 hours at the flea market, I literally "shopped until I dropped," and napped for 2 hours. Afterwards, we proceeded to walk around and sight see. We had dinner at the restaurant by the bridge and it was one of the best meals I've had in Germany thus far. I order veal with a horseradish sauce, baked noodles with breadcrumbs, and lingonberry sauce. Just writing about it makes my mouth water.  I had gelato of course, shopped around and headed back to bed. My back and feet were killing me. It was a great day.



Sunday
The early bird gets the worm or in this case, the view. We set out early again to the Festung Marienberg, a celtic fortress that was built in 1201 and served as the residence of the prince bishop until 1719. It's located on top of a hill across from the bridge, so we set out for the climb after a hearty breakfast by the river. The views at the top of the fortress garden was spectacular. Seriously, a beautiful sight. Check out my pictures in the slideshow at the end of this post. Before we headed back to Grafenwoehr, we stopped at the Residenz, which is a palace that prince bishops also lived in. The garden and architecture was beautiful. It was heavily restored after WWII and it was definitely a sight to see.


I really am loving Germany. So much history, beautiful places to see and explore. I am definitely trying to take advantage of my weekends and get myself out there with others and or by myself. Anyone that wants to join me in my travels, let me know! Yall are welcomed!


Festung Marienberg

residenz





    

1 comment :