Zermatt, Switzerland

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Last weekend was a dream! I got to see Mark and spend Valentine's Day weekend in one of the most beautiful countries I've ever visited, Switzerland.




The sight of the Matterhorn was breathtaking (photocred: Mark)  and the Swiss Alps powdered with snow were incredible especially when skiing on them.

The journey started Thursday night after work where I made my way to Nuremberg airport to catch my flight to Zurich. Being the risk taker that I am, my flight was supposed to leave at 7:00 p.m. and arrive to Zurich at 8:00 p.m. and the last train to Zermatt was supposed to leave at 8:18 p.m. I knew that it was cutting it very close especially since I've never been to that airport, but I had hope I would be fine and be able to reunite with Mark that night.

To my luck, some issues were going on with the plane and we didn't start boarding until 7:20 p.m. At that point I knew my plan would not pan out, so another alternative was to take the train from Zurich to Bern and to Visp and then take a taxi to Zermatt. By the way, Switzerland is very expensive,  so I wasn't too happy, but being able to see Mark that night was worth it.

We were staying at Mark's friend's chalet along with 15 other of his friends and family.
 Chalet Gemini was perfectly located and had the most amazing views of Zermatt. Thanks to the Ransohoff family for being such amazing hosts! :)


We got up early in the morning and set out for our first ski day. I was super excited to ski with Mark, though I'm sure he was nervous I wouldn't be able to keep up or be able to ski to the lunch spots and Après Ski parties.


Before going to Zermatt, I had taken ski lessons so I had a jist of the basics. But, because I'm a beginner, I was given a Ski guide named Patti and he was great in helping me refine some of my ski skills as I did runs on a couple of slopes. It was a great time and we met everyone out for lunch. I had this amazing charcuterie board with different cheeses and meats and also grilled chicken with salad. I was so full I could barely eat dessert.

We set out on my first day of Apres parties and nightlife and lets just say Zermatt knows what its doing. Really cool rustic bars with unlimited amounts of FISK shots. FISK is a danish vodka that has a mixture of eucalyptus, menthol, and licorice. The aftertaste is that of Vicks, but I'm not complaining because my breath was always fresh.

The following day was pretty much a repeat of the first except, Mark and I took a gondola to the Italian side of the mountains. But, because the weather conditions were very windy and snowy, it was closed and we skied on a glacier instead. Good thing I was dressed warm because it was really cold! The views were amazing, but there were some runs that were really steep and I continued to fall as I went down. Somehow I managed to make it down without hurting myself or yelling at my Ski teacher,"Mark," out of frustration.




We all met up for lunch at this cute place and our group dominated most of the restaurant. We ordered amazing appetizers, I ordered a veal steak smothered in a morel mushroom sauce with homemade tagliatelle. I tried some of the sweetbreads Mark ordered and also had a pie with meringue topping. It was all so delicious.

After lunch, we skied to a bar called Hennu Stall and pretty much partied until 7:00p.m. It was so much fun!!  We definitely started the dance party!

After hot tubing and getting dinner, we all went out for our last night in Zermatt! I miss the nightlife already!

The next morning, we had breakfast, packed our bags, and went to get a last view of the Alps before we left for Zurich.


We roamed around a chocolate store and also took pictures by this beautiful hotel called Zermatterhof.


The views from the train to Zurich were out of this world and even though I'm a beach girl at heart, I fell in love with this Winter wonderland. 


Hopefully I will be back soon! Next Stop: Zurich


1 comment :

  1. Enthusiastic words written in this blog helped me to enhance my skills as well as helped me to know how I can help myself on my own. I am really glad to come at this platform. Transfer zurich airport to lugano

    ReplyDelete